Saturday, July 11, 2015

Changes

I truly am terrible at keeping up on this but I think that has a lot to do with my lack of confidence in what this all is. Over the last year (maybe a bit more) I've come to know this great community of crafty people (primarily through Instagram) and just this last weekend I went to my first Quilt Show in Sisters, Oregon.



**If you see your quilt or know who the quilter and/or title of the quilt, please let me know and I will give them credit. I'm still fairly new at all this and didn't even think to write that information down**

I was so inspired by the art and hard work I saw in each quilt. Over the past few years, I have also gotten to know myself better and the things that I truly enjoy. It seems silly to have just figured this out at 23/recently 24 but what I know about myself is that I love my family and friends. One of the ways I have shown that love in the past was taking on their hobbies. I don't mean I didn't enjoy playing FPS (first-person shooter) video games or sporting till I couldn't sport no more, but they simply weren't my passions. What I know about myself now is that I love crafting quilting, sewing, cross stitching, and, occasionally, crocheting. I love comic books - some well known like Walking Dead and others maybe not known like Trekker and Lady Killer - and the world of Sci-Fi and Fantasy (Star Trek and Game of Thrones). I go to sleep thinking about my next quilt and how to piece everything together and I wake up hoping I'll find time in the day to sit down with one of my comics or my kindle containing somewhere around (No joke!) 152 books, most of which I haven't read (in all fairness, most of them were non-illegally free).

So, whats the point in me telling you all this? Well, I've once again revamped this blog into something that I think will work. Its also that time of year that I assess my last year's goals and make a new list to accomplish by my next birthday. If you want to check out my past goals, I've created a separate page that you can find at the top, labeled "Past Goals". There you can get an idea for yourself what kind of goals to set (if you're into that sort of thing) or just see how I've done in the past. To give you a summary, the first year of doing it (22 goals by my 23rd birthday) I accomplished 15 out of 22 (a solid 68% - but I feel about as much success as a C+). This last year (23 goals by my 24th birthday) the grading was a bit more involved but it came out to a 68% again but it feels closer to a B+. I feel better about the 2nd list, though, and how I progressed, simply because not every goal has the same personal meaning. For example, I worked really hard at letting past frustrations and anger go and I feel I was successful at that. On the other hand, I was not successful at taking a photo and posting it to instagram everyday (oh well, right?). After writing out what I was successful with and what I could have done to be more successful with the ones I failed at, I sat down and created my new list.

24 goals to accomplish by the time I turn 25


I've also made a page for this (top of the page or click here) that I will update at the end of each week. I won't go into much detail about each goal right now, mainly because I've already written so much I'll be surprised if you read even this far. You may notice, however, that one of those goals (#19) is to blog twice a month. Yup, it made it to the list. So here I am, first post of my new year. My posts will cover my progress through my goals such as finally finishing one of my many unfinished objects (UFOs). In fact, I have made a page just for all my crafty finishes (I've already posted a few from the last year or so). A few posts may also be my crafty adventures through craft swaps, which  (you guessed it) I made a page for so you can see pictures of what I sent and received from these swaps (scroll to the top or click here for that). Oh, and I promise to work harder on having less words and more pictures. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

I hope you'll join me in this adventure and I challenge you to write out a list of things you want to accomplish by your next birthday. It doesn't have to be 24 by 25 or 39 by 40 or however old you're turning. Start with 5:
  • 1 for you mental health (eg. journaling or stepping away from the internet for 24 hours)
  • 1 for your physical health (eg. going on a hike or even just making sure you step outside once a day)
  • 1 for your spiritual health (eg. daily devotions, meditation)
  • 1 for your family (eg. family dinners once a week or schedule a family game night)
  • 1 just for you (eg. read that book you keep looking at longingly or sit down and do that craft)
This is how I try and write out my list is by these categories, as well as an even balance of things to be done daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly/ just once. Write them so that there is only 1 way to interpret them (eg don't write "exercise 4x/month", instead write "jog 1 mile every Friday") and don't be afraid to fail. Really, its not about getting 100%, its about improving your health and living a happier life. If by your next birthday you feel accomplished in the goals you set, then it was a success. Feel free to share those goals with me in the comment section below. I've found that when you tell someone your goals, even if its not someone I know personally, I'm more motivated to work on those goals.

Until next time, live long and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment