Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Written Word Wednesday - Leading Ladies

You thought I forgot about you guys. No way. Fun story: I did almost forget what I time I was supposed to be at work. At 9:45, sitting in my pajamas, still slowly sipping my first cup of coffee, my phone alerted me that my shift started in 15 minutes - it takes me 7 minutes to drive to work! Thankfully, I had remembered to switch the laundry so my work clothes were freshly clean. I've never changed so fast in my entire life. In those 15 minutes, I got dressed, minimal makeup, hair in my usual ponytail, packed my lunch, refilled my water bottle, closed off the various rooms to the pets (because the cats are having trouble coping with my absence in the form of peeing on things), and rushed out the door to drive to work. Clocked on at 10:00:14am. Nailed it! Anyway, that long story was to say that I'm sorry for this being a late in the day post rather than what I had hoped to be earlier in the day.

Today's "Written Word Wednesday" (what do you guys think of the name?) is focusing on leading ladies. Entirely unintentionally I've been reading quite a few books with a woman either as the author and/or as the main character. In some cases, the character is in the role typically seen by male characters and other times they fit the stereotype to the T. In all cases, they're books that I've greatly enjoyed and are certainly worth a look into. As with my end of the month reviews, I'll give an honorable mention in each category but I seriously, you should check them out!

Autobiographies/ Memoirs:

Yes Please by Amy Poehler -★★★★☆
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed -★★★★☆
My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock -★★★★☆

You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day - currently reading. I know its not really fair to highlight this book as my honorable mention since I'm only into it the first hundred pages but I absolutely love Felicia Day. She was the geek girl before it exploded and became cool to be all geeky and such (its cool now, right? Not that it matters much to me I just mean... I think its cool). Beyond her acting (Supernatural, Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog, and The Guild) and writing (The Guild) and video game skills, she is just a genuinely awesome person that I wish I could be friends with (I don't mean like besties because she's probably crazy busy but maybe just the kind of friend that occasionally texts a "hey, what's up? What level are you on?" sort of friend). The reason I highlight her book in particular is because, when it comes down to it, everyone is a geek about something - there's something that you absolutely love and could talk for hours about if someone were to ask. And what makes us geek out is special to each of us and we should be proud of that. Let our geek flags fly! And, don't worry, if you aren't the video game/ comic type of geek she writes in a language everyone can understand. (As with all these books here) I highly encourage you to look into the book or, at least, Felicia (okay, fine! She's my girl crush okay!? I'm allowed!)


Comics/ Graphic novels:
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson -★★★★☆
Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson -★★★★★

Trekker by Ron Randall -★★★★☆ A lot of the books and comics that I highlight here are newer but Trekker started years ago when the story may have been considered a bit ambitious. The main character, Mercy St. Clair, is a bounty hunter (also known as a trekker) who takes care of the scum that others can't seem to catch or handle. There's a lot to love about Mercy and her action packed life and you can get up to date from the Trekker webpage. Trekker was the first official comic series that I bought at my very first comic con and I am so glad that I did! I even got to meet the creator, Ron Randall himself!! I highly encourage you at least check out the page and a few of the pages that he has up.

I Was the Cat by Paul Tobin and Ben Dewey - currently reading


Young Adult:
Hunger Games (series) by Suzanne Collins -★★★★☆
Divergent (series) by Veronica Roth -★★★★☆

Throne of Glass (series) by Sarah J. Maas - ★★★★★ I absolutely love this entire series so I highly recommend it to anyone. The main character, Celaena Sardothien is the most infamous assassin in all of Erilea. Under the tyrannical rule of the King of Adarlan Celaena must fight her way to survival to become his champion and assassin. Partially inspired by Cinderella, Sarah J. Maas paints a beautiful story of a young woman's fight to be the best. Now, I must warn you that if you pick up this series, the first book is a bit slow in the beginning but there is a lot of set up. I also must warn you that by the time you start your way through the second book, you will be totally addicted to the story and want to rush through to the end of the last released book,the fourth, Queen of Shadows. The series is meant to have 6 books in total so there's still time to join the growing following of this spectacular series.


Just in case reading isn't your thing (or maybe it is and you need some more characters to check out) here are a few movies to check out and the women to keep an eye out for.

Movies & TV:

Lord of the Rings (book and series) - Lady Galadriel, Lady of Light, Lady of the Galadhrim, Lady of the Wood, Lady of Lórien; Éowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan; and Arwen, Queen of the Reunited Kingdom (Arnor and Gondor), Lady of Rivendell
Harry Potter (book and movie series) - Hermoine Granger and Professor Minerva McGonagall

Star Trek: The Original Series - Uhura and Number One (from the pilot episode) - Now, here is where I tell you how amazing Star Trek is and why it is so much more than just a tv show. Star Trek's first pilot featured a female second-in-command ("Number One" since she remained unnamed) which may not seem so crazy to us but back when it was first released, producers felt that a female in command was too far fetched that the audience wouldn't believe it and they rejected the pilot. Though rejected, they ordered a second pilot so the female lead was dropped and replaced with the much loved Spock, maintaining some of the same aspects such as her cool demeanor. Additionally, Star Trek:TOS featured the first black woman in a position of power and the first tv broadcast of a interracial kiss. Star Trek fought to push the limits on what was considered the norm, looking forward to a future that accepted everyone as they are and sought to learn more of other cultures rather than try to change them (hmmm, sound relevant to today?). If you happen to sit down and watch even just one episode, keep in mind how this show must have looked when it first aired. An asian man on the bridge played by a man who lived in a Japanese Internment Camp (in Rohwer, Arkansas). A Russian character also on the bridge during the Cold War. A black woman on the bridge during the push to black rights leading up Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have a dream" speech. Just take 30 minutes and watch 1 episode and consider the impact that Star Trek has had not only on sci-fi culture but how the actors and actress's, by being apart of this series, has shaped television and history!

Star Trek: Voyager (tv series) - Captain Kathryn Janeway, B'Elanna Torres, Kes, and Seven of Nine
Firefly & Serenity - The entire crew of Serenity! The women of the crew being Zoe Washburn, Inara Serra, Kaylee Frye, and River Tam
X-Files (tv series) - Dana Scully


And there you have it, a not nearly long enough list of some of the badass women I love. Any leading lady books, movies, or tv shows that I'm forgetting (or I may not even know about)? Please, let me know in the comments! Join me Friday (Free-for-all-Friday?) as I talk about my planning process and transitioning into bullet journaling. And/Or back again on Monday for another "Make-It-Monday" for some of the crafty fun I've been up to this week. I have the next few days off so its going to be a crafty storm up in here! And seriously, guys and gals, what do you think of the themed names? Do you have some better ideas for me because I'm all ears!?

Thank you for joining me on this crazy hump day. As always, you can follow me on Instagram @trekkiechick29 or Pinterest @TrekkerChick29 or Twitter @AimeXAime and check out my etsy shop. Until next time my lovely lady readers (and lady loving), live long, read on, and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment