Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Centered

I didn't get a chance to post, though Zumba did happen. It went much different then usual and, well, I liked it! There wasn't very many people there so the leader/ instructor decided that we would do more Pilates and Yoga exercises than actual Zumba. While calming music played in the back ground, we balanced on one leg in a crouched sort of pose, lunged in "warrior pose" and stretched our mid-section doing a move called the swimmer. The last 15minutes or so was entirely spent centering our bodies and relaxing. Now, this may seem a bit unrelated but I am always surprised in the places that I find God. While sitting there in that butterfly pose, deep breathing in and out, in and out, in with peace and out with stress, I was so overcome by the presence of God in that moment. Now this blog is all about working out whether that be physically, mentally, emotionally, or even spiritually. While I went to this Zumba class to simply workout (and because it was really fun), I've been challenged in numerous ways and strengthened not just my leg muscles. All this made me think of a few tips that I want to share with ya'll:

Make your beliefs a part of your workout (whether you do that through prayer, doing a daily devotion, or taking time to center yourself both physically and spiritually).

Surround yourself with common beliefs (that can be as complex as your religion or as simple as wanting to talk positively about others) it makes working out so much more enjoyable.

Know your limits (know how far you can reach down when stretching or that you have to take a quick break from squats) but...

Always push yourself (don't just go through the motions of a workout but really push yourself to make the workout worth it).

Yup, that's what I took away from Zumba yesterday. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow morning (especially since the sun is finally starting to show itself earlier) so I'll let ya'll know how that goes too. Until next time, live long and prosper!

No comments:

Post a Comment